Network and computer systems administrators are responsible for the day-to-day operation of these networks. They organize, install, and support an organization’s computer systems, including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), network segments, intranets, and other data communication systems.
Network and Computer Administrators manage an organization’s servers and desktop and mobile equipment. They ensure that email and data storage networks work properly. They also make sure that employees’ workstations are working efficiently and stay connected to the central computer network. Some administrators manage telecommunication networks.
- Determine an organization’s system needs and install network hardware and software
- Make needed upgrades and repairs to networks and ensure that systems are operating correctly
- Maintain network and computer system security
- Evaluate and optimize network or system performance
- Add users to a network, and assign and update security permissions on the network
- Train users in the proper use of hardware and software
- Interpret and solve problems when a user or an automated monitoring system alerts them that a problem exists