R&D engineers, or research and development engineers, develop new products, redesign existing products, and perform research and testing on product concepts
- R&D engineers execute broad engineering knowledge to design and development of new products, product changes, and enhancements, and designing mockups of proposed products.
- R&D engineers design detailed project plans with engineering, manufacturing, and sales and marketing teams to manage all aspects of product development and production.
- R&D engineers perform market research to determine what types of products might be successful among consumers, research product ideas to determine their viability, and research how existing products on the market are performing.
- Partners with the software developers to ensure the electrical design works seamlessly within the software architecture identifies potential issues and negotiates trade-offs as required.
- Develops product verification and validation testing strategies, testing protocols and reports, and ensures products meet/exceed established specifications.
- Employs statistical techniques to establish exceptional product quality, reliability, and robustness.
- Supports in ensuring product and performance specifications are appropriate and accurate.