Due to the rise in web and mobile applications, programmer careers have become popular, and therefore they need to ensure they have the relevant skills to land their dream jobs. Experienced programmers have many opportunities in front of them, but there is high competition for the best roles such as CTO and many others.
Programmers need to work on several areas of their expertise to land their dream jobs. In this article, we share with you the main areas to sharpen your skills and land the dream job you have always wanted.
Programmers need to learn various skills to succeed in their programming skills. Before investing your time and money to learn how to become a successful programmer, it is essential to consider your personal goals, time bandwidth, purpose, competent logic reasoning, and cognitive bandwidth.
These factors will help you achieve the ability to be a skilled programmer successfully.
Having a sharp mind that is sufficient to comprehend programming concepts is what is meant by cognitive bandwidth. You need to be able to focus on when learning the concepts of programming and put them into practice.
Key Skills for a Programmer Career
New research by Dice Insights has released the in-demand programming skills that programmers looking to get their dream jobs should consider having. They are:
- HTML and CSS – Learning HTML and CSS is essential in helping you create static web pages. These two languages are the basics of building a website. HTML structures all the content seen in a website such as texts and links while CSS makes a web page look the way it is in terms of style, layout, colour and visuals.
- Objective-C – Objective-C is used in coding and writing desktop software and mobile apps. Also, it is the language that was behind iPhone and iPad apps before the new Swift programming language.
- Swift – Programmers looking to specialise in making apps for Apple need to be skilled in Swift programming language. Swift is used in all Apple devices and TV applications. Joining the world of iOS requires you to be conversant with Swift.
- PHP – PHP is a popular language that programmers ought to learn. It runs in sites such as WordPress and Facebook; therefore, you should be skilled in if you are looking to get a career in Programming.
- Python – It is considered the most popular of all programming languages. It is a general-purpose language used in almost every area of data science and software development. You can improve your skills in Python by taking online courses since it is easy to read and understand it. Python is used in server automation, and help researchers make sense of their data by helping them interpret and analyse information.
- Ruby – It is an excellent programming language used in making applications. It is associated with the Rails framework and is used in large sites such as Twitter, Treehouse, Github, among many others.
- SQL – Most organisations are looking for programmers with a solid background in SQL. It is suitable for databases and therefore, being skilled in SQL will enable you to be hired quickly.
Soft skills for a programmer career
- Creativity – Programmers are required to have creative minds to develop computer software that achieves intended objectives.
- Analytical skills – Programmers must be equipped with analysis skills which they use to analyse their users’ needs and come up with software that meets those needs.
- Communication skills – Programmers are required to have the ability to communicate effectively. They should give clear instructions to other team members and answer any queries that come up.
- Problem-solving skills – Programmers should have the ability to solve problems and be in charge from the beginning to the end until the project is successful.
- Interpersonal skills – Programmers should be able to co-exist and work well with others. They should work harmoniously as a team to develop, design and program a successful application or software.
- Detail-oriented – Programmers should have an eye for detail when developing their programs or application systems. They also work on several tasks simultaneously and therefore, should be able to pay close attention to all the necessary details.
What are the different programmer career paths?
- Computer information research scientists – These are in charge of inventing new approaches that solve complex computing problems that affect businesses.
- Computer hardware engineers – A software career as a computer hardware engineer involves designing, developing and performing tests on computer systems and components like processors networks, circuit boards and memory devices to ensure they run effectively.
- IT Manager – IT manager plan and coordinate all teams in the company to improve the IT infrastructure and ensure all information needed flows easily.
- Computer information system managers – Computer information systems managers coordinate plan and direct others on computer system-related functions. They implement computer systems that help the business achieve its goals.
- Computer network architects – Programmers and computer network architects are in charge of designing and developing active data communication networks such as Wide Area Networks (WANs), Local Area Network (LAN), and Intranet.
- Computer programmers – They are responsible for writing and testing codes to use in computer applications and software programs. They ensure the proper functioning of program designs and ensure they perform as expected.
- Computer support specialists – They offer advice to other stakeholders of an organisation on areas related to computer networks and provide technical assistance where it is needed.
- Database administrators – In the developer career, database administrators are required to use specific software to organise data and store it for future reference. They put measures to protect that data and secure it from unauthorised access.
- Information security analysts – They plan and put security measures to safeguard the organisation’s computer networks from intrusion. They counter cyber attacks and protect the company information systems.
- Statisticians – They are people who help analyse data by using mathematical and statistical methods to solve challenges in various sectors such as business, healthcare and engineering.
- Web developers – In the software career, web developers usually design and create websites. They are also in charge of maintaining company applications by checking their performance and speed. They also develop content for the site and ensure it can handle the traffic without any hitches.
What new software careers I should consider?
- Machine learning/AI engineer – Machine learning/AI engineer is a good career in the tech industry. The field of automation is vast, and machine learning skills are in demand not only now but also in the future. ML engineers spend a lot of time analysing big data and modelling to use in natural language processing, image recognition and economic forecasting.
- Data scientist – It is relatively a growing career in data science and software where data is cleaned, compiled and presented in a clear way to help management make informed decisions. Data scientists need to be experts in data analysing and presentation.
- Information security analyst – Information security analysts work to protect company data and systems from cyber threats and hacking. They protect both users of the data and sensitive information from landing into unauthorised hands. Nowadays, companies have essential information regarding their operations which need to be protected. The analysts secure the data and out protective systems of accessing the data.
- Software engineer – It is a marketable profession in the versatile technology sector. Software engineers develop apps, software and websites and require proficiency in programming languages.
- Computer research scientist – A computer research scientist is a rewarding career for those who decide to take this path. They invent new ways of performing tasks using computer technology.
- Data analyst – Data in today’s business world is a valuable asset. Data analysts use this data to carry out analysis and interpretation that informs decision making.
- Computer systems analyst – Computer systems analysts design computer systems solutions that help companies run smoothly. They bring together the IT and business part of an organisation to produce a positive result.
- Database administrator – A database administrator is in charge of maintaining databases and ensuring all computer systems run efficiently. They also participate in managing the company data and safeguarding it.
How do I choose my career path as a developer?
To choose a career path in the developer career, you need a background education in computer science, information technology, and database administration or computer information systems.
Having knowledge in one of the subjects or related field helps you to advance in a career in programming or software development.
Also, having specialised skills is beneficial to getting your dream job in this career. Therefore, you need to have expertise in database management systems like Oracle, SQL Server and IBM DB2, programming languages like Java, Python etc.
After gaining these skills, you are ready to launch your career in any field as a developer.
What is the best career in IT?
In Information Technology, we have various careers such as
- Data architect
- Full-stack developer
- Network administrator
- Computer systems analyst
- Site reliability engineer
- Computer technical support specialist
- Hardware engineer
- Solutions architect
- Computer network architect
Among all of them, full stack developer is the best career. He/she oversees the creation of a website from start to finish. It is an enjoyable and rewarding profession with exciting opportunities in various industries.
What kind of developer makes the most money?
Organisations rely on IT professionals to safeguard their data in this world full of security threats and the ever-expanding internet, cloud computing and software of all sorts. The most rewarding IT profession is the full-stack developer for cloud computing. A full-stack developer earns an average of $105,000.
What kind of developer is most in demand?
- AI architect – The field of artificial intelligence is snowballing, and many businesses are looking for AI architects to help develop their AI-enabled products and services. AI architects are required to have a background in computer science or data science. This will help in data analytics because AI involves applying such skills in addition to knowledge in machine learning, AI application programming and natural language processing. They are also required to be strategic and critical thinkers with top-notch time management skills.
- Business intelligence analyst – Business intelligence analysts gather information and data which they use to draw findings on market trends, profit margins etc. They have experience in database technology and analytics and use it to communicate to stakeholders. They are required to have sharpened skills in online analytical processing (OLAP), data cube technology, stored procedure writing, and strong leadership skills.
- Cloud architect – The cloud architect oversees the deployment and management of cloud applications. He/she devises the cloud computing strategies to be adopted by the organisation. They are conversant in programming, multiple operating systems and networking. They should be able to work with cloud services such as Amazon Web Services and I &O.
- Data specialists – Data specialists store, sort and analyse large volumes of data. They are in high demand in many sectors, such as banking and manufacturing. They handle sensitive data, and therefore they are required to have integrity and not put the company at risk. They should be skilled in gathering and processing data, working as a team and interpreting data to come up with insights that can be used to base critical business decisions.
- Web/mobile/software Developer – These developers design, test and maintain software applications and systems. They are conversant with coding, designing mobile apps and working with various programming languages. A CTO can grow his career from a software developer and advance to managerial positions through this path.
- DevOps Engineer – This is a new in-demand career in many companies. DevOps practices advocate faster and effective code deployment. DevOps engineers oversee coding, scripting and manage IT infrastructure of organisations. They supervise the testing and maintenance of software and continuously work to improve processes to achieve efficiency.
Programmers need practical and teachable expertise that can help them carry out their duties effectively. Having competencies in coding using various programming languages like Python, Java, among others, is crucial to landing your dream job. You can subscribe to our magazine to get the best tips on areas to improve to become competitive and land your dream job.