Did you know some programming languages are more energy-efficient than others? Or that complex algorithms used in blockchain and crypto transactions consume great amounts of energy? (thus generating tons of CO2 emissions).
Yes, we are not saying these tips will make the ultimate difference and turn the tide of the battle against climate change, but if you consider that according to different sources, the internet and the systems used to support it generate around 4% of the global CO2 emissions (roughly the same as the airline industry) you should think twice before underestimating the huge impact programming can have by becoming more energy-efficient.
The infographic below shares some best practices and data to show you how you can become a more sustainable developer and create more energy-efficient products and apps.
Energy-efficient tips for developers
Sustainability in programming: more examples and insights
The examples below show how programming and developers can make a huge contribution to sustainability and inclusion, whether it’s because of shifting to green energy sources or through the scope of different projects.
1) Sustainable cloud computing
Google is working to become 100% carbon-free by 2030. Many other cloud-based companies are following this initiative worldwide.
2) Artificial Greentelligence
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are already being used for different sustainability purposes. Here are some examples:
- Tracking wildlife
- Monitor pollution levels in water
- Smart transport
- Energy efficiency
- Forecasting natural disasters
- Monitor deforestation
3) Big Data for all
Data analysis is an invaluable tool for sustainability and inclusion. Here are three examples:
- FAO’s Climate Smart Agriculture: uses big data to help optimize crops.
- Global Fishing Watch: a live data map that tracks human activities in oceans worldwide.
- Data2x: fosters gender-sensitive and unbiased big data.
4) Web pollution: “If the Internet was a Country, it would be the 7th largest polluter” The Sustainable Web Manifesto says that web development should be:
5) The Greensoft Model is a reference approach that aims to foster more sustainable app development from the very creation and throughout the entire cycle.